Over these past few weeks, our still nickname-less airstream trailer (suggestions for a good name are more than welcome in the comments) has gone from a work in progress to a borderline finished product. This blog post comes after a considerable delay compared to some of the earlier ones, because, as we have found out, if you want to put some nice finishing touches on a project like this, you need to hire out most of the work to people who actually have discernible skills. Basically, Wilson and myself parading around with hammers and rivet guns are of little to no help at this point. That being said, the difference made by this injection of skilled labor is immediately noticeable, as you will see in the pictures. Long story short, our trailer is looking niiiice.
When you last heard from us, Doug Barr, our handyman extraordinaire, had just finished the cabinets that run along the length of the trailer. Unfortunately for him, there was no rest for the weary, as he immediately got back to work constructing one last cabinet shown above to cover up our water tank and pump. Once Doug was done with his fine work, we finished up the cabinet with two coats of our trusty “Whisper White” paint.
Early on in the airstream remodeling process, Wilson and I decided that we wanted to paint some part of our trailer with chalkboard paint to allow people to express themselves and leave a little message for us when they visited our office. After much deliberation, the inside of the bathroom walls was picked to be our chalkboard surface. While Wilson and I have become experts at painting things a shade of off-white, we thought chalkboard paint was a bit out of our league, and we turned the task over to our in-house painter Clare Barr (a family that remodels an airstream together stays together). She even came up with a great pun, shown above.
Once all of the cabinets were completed, it was time to put in the flooring. We opted for a cork floor because it is relatively inexpensive, light (we don’t want the trailer to get too heavy for towing purposes), durable, and aesthetically pleasing. As you can see yourself, putting the flooring in made the whole trailer look approximately 100 times better.
With the flooring done, the counter tops were next on the to do list. Since the start of this project, we wanted to have some sort of metal counter tops to give our interior a sleek feel that ties in with the aluminum airstream dynamic while giving us a durable and clean workspace. Unfortunately, solid metal counter tops are heavy and expensive, and therefore pretty impractical. So, instead, we ordered large, thin zinc sheets and hired someone to bend the metal around our thick plywood counter tops. To clear up any confusion you might have from these pictures, the zinc is not actually blue, but is just currently wrapped in a plastic protective coating until we cover it with sealant.
Following the completion and installation of the counter tops, we called up the plumber to install our sinks, toilet, and beer tap. As you can see above, the process went swimmingly.
Above are some more shots of our beer tap, starting with a look at the hoses running inside our cabinets, followed by a pic of our CO2 regulator, and finally a shot of the beer tap itself. As you can probably tell/would expect, this is most likely our favorite feature of the trailer.
I have always heard that it is important to finish off any piece of writing with a dynamite conclusion because that is the last thing the reader will see. That being said, here are some pictures of the broken waste valve we replaced for you to enjoy.
I hope you all enjoyed this update on our airstream remodeling exploits. We are getting pretty close to having the trailer fully operational, so keep your eyes peeled for a new blog post in the next few weeks detailing our maiden voyage with our new office in tow.